Saturday, January 19, 2013

Those That Can



I think I'm starting to develop some kind of complex about teaching my girls. After struggling to help them grasp simple concepts like "over" and "under" or the days of the week I'm often left with the painful realization that either I'm not as smart as I've always thought or they aren't as smart as I've hoped.

Needless to say I get my answer every time I hear my wife sitting down with them for a few minutes as they recite Pythagorean theorems or discuss Economic Imperialism. Now, I think I know I'm smart, I know it! But I guess there's something lacking in my lesson delivery because teaching Zari the days of the week has been like pulling teeth, whereas with their mom there's always smiling and laughter and......learning.

Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but not about the difference in what my wife and I are able to achieve in the "teaching" department. But I'm okay with that. I accept my limitations and we all have the same goal...not to have dumb underachieving kids. So I step back and know my role and wait for my expertise to be needed (whatever that may be). But in the meantime I'll keep pulling teeth while the girls humor me and patiently wait for their favorite teacher to take over.

Poor Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment