Monday, January 14, 2013

Shweepy

 
My 2 yr old (Morgan) came up to me a little bit before nap time and said.... "Daddy I shweepy. Nap time?" It was so cute I couldn't help but  pick her up and kiss on her until she was completely repulsed and begged for me to put her down. I could have sworn I heard her say "forget I said anything" as she walked away.

But more than anything, her little confession made me think back to how far we've come when it comes to sleep. Two years ago when we brought her home I was on late night duty which meant if she was awake in the middle of the night, then I was awake in the middle of the night.......no matter what.

And staying true to her dad appointed nickname; "Hard Time", it was ALWAYS difficult to get her asleep but when she did drift off it was usually on her stomach which I learned was her favorite position to sleep in (mine too). BUT as a relatively new parent all I could think about were the numerous stories/lessons/warnings about letting your infant sleep on their stomach. So there I was either wide awake at 3 am trying to soothe a crying infant or wide awake at 3 am watching over a sleeping infant with her face buried in the couch cushion.

Either way I was wide awake.

So thank you Morgan for maturing so much in two years that you can come up to me in the middle of the day and admit when it's time to lay you down for a nap. The sentiment means so much to me and my journey towards compensating for the many lost hours walking in circles and dancing to Michael Jackson with you in my arms, in pitch black darkness.

I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment